March 3, 2014

Environmentality & Sustainability - Week 3

During week 3 of class we got to go on a field trip! The class met at Disney's Animal Kingdom at Rafiki's Conservation Station for our two hour class last Thursday. For the first portion of class, we split up into groups and did a scavenger hunt through Rafiki's Conservation Station. The questions on the scavenger hunt were about the park, different conservation plans, figuring out how to navigate the area of the park, and different fun facts. For example, did you know that there are over 100 Hidden Mickey's on the mural inside the building? The scavenger hunt was alright; it was nice to get to know some of my classmates, but it felt rushed and I knew a lot of the information already from working at Animal Kingdom. 

However, the second half of class was AWESOME! The area manager of Kilimanjaro Safaris, Mike, gave us a private, backstage safari tour! He gave us exclusive cast-only information about the safari set-up, the animals, and the care that some of the animals receive. This was amazing, and I loved seeing the "Cast Member" side of the safari, especially because I have been on the Guest safari so many times.

Lions on the Safari
So far, I'm really impressed with my Environmentality & Sustainability Class! Yes, it's hard to drag myself out of the apartment every week for class, but so far I have not been disappointed by the material, and I really think I have something to gain from this class!

No comments:

Post a Comment