March 20, 2014

Environmentality & Sustainability - Week 6

This week was another field trip week in Environmentality & Sustainability, and this time we went to The Seas in Epcot! Yes, I know, I'm a lucky girl who got to get a backstage tour of The Seas two weeks in a row... (if you haven't read my Meet & Greet at The Seas post yet, be sure to check it out!) Anyway, this week was a lot of fun. My group was given a private tour of The Seas by one of the education team's professional interns, Zack. He was really great and gave us a lot of information about the aquarium, the animals, and the care and maintenance of such a large system. I learned that all of the marine mammals at The Seas are males (4 dolphins, 2 manatees), that the water is constantly being filtered, and that it is the second largest aquarium in the world (behind the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta).

It was really cool to once again get a backstage tour of The Seas and learn about the kind of work and research that is going on there. I also had a great time talking to Zack about his role as a professional intern, and asking him questions that would help me best prepare to get a PI at Disney in the next few years. All of these classes are great networking opportunities, and it's not lost on me how much of an amazing experience this truly is. I know that not many people get to go backstage at The Seas, and far fewer people have as many opportunities as I have had to learn and see first how truly how much Disney cares about the environment and conservation.

I honestly could have cried being there, I wanted so badly to jump into the tank and put on my scuba gear to get in the aquarium. It was an amazing experience, and I am so looking forward to my last few classes of Environmentality & Sustainability!

By the way, if you're wondering why I haven't been taking pictures of all of my amazing backstage experiences, it's because Disney has a strict no backstage pictures policy, so I'm sorry guys, but you will just have to take my word for how cool it truly is!

No comments:

Post a Comment