March 26, 2014

Meet & Greet with Jeff - Environmentality Teacher

This morning I had a meeting with Jeff, my teacher for my Environmentality & Sustainability class. I met Jeff at his office in Vista Way and we talked for about thirty minutes about the rest of my time here in Orlando and how to effectively network with my remaining time. Jeff was extremely helpful, especially because I really didn't know what direction to head in in terms of networking. Jeff suggested that the next two weeks in class would be very beneficial to me and that I should take the opportunity to introduce myself to our guest speakers and let them know that I am interested in their work and ask them questions. He explained that the speakers are there on their own time, and that the speakers like having questions asked, because then they don't feel like they wasted their time to come speak with us.

Jeff also gave me some helpful hints about when to use business cards and hand out resumes, and what kinds of things I can do now to help me apply for professional internships in the future. Because I am not planning on applying for a professional internship in the next few semesters, I felt like I didn't know how to best network to help myself in a year or two, but Jeff explained to me that staying in touch with a simple email is a great and effective way to continue networking into the future.

I now feel like I have a little more direction in my networking experiences, and I have some plans to get in contact with other people in order to help myself move forward with the Walt Disney Company.

For those of you thinking about doing the DCP or just for anyone interested, meet & greets are extremely effective ways to network and make connections with the company, and I highly recommend starting sooner rather than later!

No comments:

Post a Comment