July 1, 2014

How Megan is Handling the Florida Heat

For those of you who have been to Disney World before, or really anywhere in central Florida you will know that it is HOT during the spring/summer. If you vacation in Walt Disney World during these hot summer months, you receive some special treatment such as air conditioning blasting inside, lots of water refills when you eat at a restaurant, and fans located throughout the park blowing air and misting water onto you. All of this is fine and well, and most guests can get through their days with only a minimal amount of discomfort from the heat. However, I CANNOT say the same for all of us Cast Members.

So, you may be asking yourself, "how is Megan handling the Florida heat?" And, my answer to you is: NOT WELL. I'm a Pennsylvania girl; when it gets super hot we usually do indoor activities, and the humidity is no where near what it is in central Florida. When I am at work, we have five inside positions and close to ten or more outdoor positions, so let's just say I pray for inside positions whenever possible! It is extremely hot when you are working outside in the sun. There is some shade that we can find to stand in, but as you can imagine, the shade changes all the time, and we can't all chase the shade the entire day. I've begun to hope for rain each afternoon, just so that it will cool off a little bit! The combination of the Florida heat and humidity has not been good to me. I come home from work super sweaty, a little sunburnt, and exhausted!

Now, let me be clear, I am in no way tortured at work. If ever we are feeling overheated, we have the opportunity to go inside and cool off for a few minutes. We have fresh water available to us at all times, and we can carry water bottles with us wherever we are. We do have those five inside positions, which allows us to be inside for some time. Also, we do get breaks during the day, usually one about every two to three hours. So, while I am extremely hot and uncomfortable at times at work, it's not the end of the world, I promise.

The heat and humidity combination is something everyone should take into account when working in Walt Disney World. Yes, it's the opportunity of a lifetime, but it does come with other factors, such as the weather, that have to be considered! However, I do have to admit, dealing with the heat and humidity of central Florida is just a minor bump in me achieving my Disney Dream!

No comments:

Post a Comment