June 18, 2016

Check-Out Dive

Today was my last day of training before I start my next phase of training (it's confusing, I know) with the marine mammal team! To summarize, I have had a week of training that has consisted of company orientations, park orientations, building orientations, animal care operations, and several safety courses related to diving. Today was my last day of this, which consisted of a check out dive, a guest programs overview, and a review of the operating guide. Starting next week I begin my training specifically with the marine mammal team! It's A LOT of training, but I know it will be worth it once I feel comfortable in my role.

The check-out dive was definitely the best part of my day! We got to dive in the main aquarium which holds 5.7 million gallons of water and dozens of species of marine life. The Seas is so large that the entire Epcot ball could fit inside of it and there would still be room to drive a bus around it! We had to demonstrate that we were comfortable in the water and with our gear and could do a few basic skills, and then we got to free swim in the aquarium and check it out! This was really cool because the fish at The Seas are fearless. They will swim right up to you, under you, over you, and basically all around you, which is such a neat experience. I also got to swim alongside sharks, rays, turtles, and watch the dolphins through the divider!

To wrap up the day, we learned about the different guest programs offered at The Seas (Dolphins in Depth, Aqua Tours, and Dive Quest) and how to answer guests' questions about the programs. Finally, we went over the dive operating guide and took a short knowledge test on the material. All in all it was a good last day of (stage 1) training. I'm very much looking forward to my day off tomorrow so I can sleep in and play in the parks! Then, on Monday I begin my time with the marine mammal team! I can't wait to meet everyone and learn more about the animals and people I will be working with. Stay tuned!!

The newest fish at The Seas - meet the interns! 

No comments:

Post a Comment