June 24, 2016

Marine Mammals - Finally!

I just finished my first week working with the marine mammal team at The Seas and I could not be more thrilled! After weeks of long and tedious training in classrooms, it felt great to finally get to meet my team and see some of the work I'll be doing throughout the internship. 

This week I trained the 8-5 shift, which is the middle shift. There are two other shifts, opening and closing, which I will learn in the weeks to come. Each shift has a different focus, but the middle shift is most focused on guest interaction, which was a perfect start for me! This week I wrote and was approved to give my manatee spiel! About every 30 minutes (unless there is another presentation), someone will give a talk on the stage about manatees. There are two manatees at The Seas, Lil' Joe and Lou. My spiel revolves around sharing information about the manatees, talking about our manatee rehabilitation work, and giving information about manatee diet, adaptations, and conservation issues. So far I really like being on the manatee stage! I like getting to interact with guests and answer questions about the manatees and I especially like getting to feed the manatees their lettuce heads. I even like spieling! The first time I did it I was really nervous, but after getting the first one out of the way I feel so much more comfortable and actually enjoy doing them now! And, I've already caught on to some of the most popular manatee questions (do they only eat lettuce?!)

I have also done a lot of cleaning this week. One big lesson I learned is that cleaning anything is better in the water! I have gone scuba diving to clean the manatee exhibit, scrubbed the walls of the dolphin back pools, pressure washed the decks, and used the power scrubber to clean the floor of the dolphin pools! It's been a lot of hard work, but being in the water makes it a lot more fun. Besides that I also learned how to do some fish prep and a lot of other kitchen tasks. 

The third task I have been focusing on this week is observing sessions. I've watched several of the dolphin research sessions as fell as some fish feeding and marine biology sessions. I need to observe these so I can eventually learn how to narrate these sessions as well! I love watching the dolphin research sessions because not only are the dolphins adorable, but they are really smart and it's so interesting to see how they think!

While this has been a great first week, it has also been an exhausting one. I forgot how tired you get after being on your feet for 8 hours a day! Additionally, I'm in the process of adjusting my sleep schedule to waking up early... it's been rough so far, but I hope I can adjust to going to bed early and getting up early soon!

All in all, I would say this has been a very successful first week. I've learned a lot, had some fun, and finally achieved my dream of being a member of the marine mammal team at The Seas!

No comments:

Post a Comment